Wednesday 23 May 2018

Co-creation in the Social Media

            In contemporary social media network, users are more active than the users of traditional media, because they are not only enjoying the benefits of media but also participate in creating information on the platform. In the following, I want to discuss my co-creation in the social media.
            During my study career, Google Doc is an important platform for me, especially when I’m an arts student. It is a platform designed for co-creation. Users are allowed to add content or edit the exited content which created by others. Everyone is the creator and enjoying the fruits of others’ labour at the same time. Google Doc is an effective way of revising during the exam, we can get inspired from others’ thoughts and produce new ideas, we can also get the missed information in the class from classmates’ notes. This is the application of crowdsourcing, it’s like 1+1>2, people can collectively produce greater than the sum of individual knowledge. We can get better grades than we review by ourselves.
            Besides, Yelp is also a good example of co-creation. When I don’t know what to eat I will find the highest rate restaurant nearby, I will look through the reviews and decide where to eat. Now, I also write the review on Yelp, because I want to share the nice restaurant with others, and I can give a low rate if I don’t like this spot. Yelp replaced the traditional way of how a restaurant promotes themselves. They used to hand out the flyer on the street, now they just need to advertise on the apps. Also, Yelp changed how I find a restaurant. I used to walk on the street and find a restaurant randomly, or recommended by friends, but now I prefer to choose spot according to the rank on Yelp. This is the presumption, we are adopting to fulfilling needs through the technology. In Yelp, the reputation of a restaurant is not created by the owners, but by the co-creation of users.
            Social media is created by every single user. As social media is becoming an important part of our life, we are becoming a part of social media at the same time. (363 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment